Want to make the ultimate life change? It's as simple as playing follow the leader...literally. God sent us His Son, Jesus, and God sent Him to be the leader of our life. If you find that living life your way hasn't been working, it is time to follow a new leader.
Here's how you follow Jesus:
- It begins by admitting that on your own you've made a mess of your life. (Work hard for sin your whole life and your pension is death. But God’s gift is real life, eternal life, delivered by Jesus, our Master. -Romans 6:23)
- It continues as you believe that Jesus really is God's Son, and that He came to die on a cross for all the bad things you've done. (Say the welcoming word to God—"Jesus is my Master"—embracing, body and soul, God’s work of doing in us what he did in raising Jesus from the dead. That’s it. You’re not "doing" anything; you’re simply calling out to God, trusting him to do it for you. That’s salvation. -Romans 10:9)
- It continues as we make a commitment to follow Jesus every day, no matter where He leads you. (Calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how." -Mark 8:34)
Following Jesus is a journey that leads you down the free road to heaven. You haven't done anything to earn your passage. Jesus did all the work. But this is still a journey. You don't say, "Jesus, I'll follow you down the road," and then turn away and start blazing your own trail as soon as the Jesus' way becomes hard. This is a commitment to a new road, a new way of living. Consider the choice carefully. Only make it if you understand that there is no turning back. Only make it if you understand things are going to have to change.
If you want to make Jesus your leader, here is an example of the kind of prayer to pray:
"Jesus, I've really made a mess of things. I've been running my life on my own, and it's not working. I'm sorry for my selfishness. I'm sorry for turning my back on God. I want to make a change. I want to follow you. Jesus, I believe you are God's Son and that you died on a cross for me. I believe you died because of all of the selfish things I've done. Save me from myself. Help me to change directions. Help me to follow you all the rest of the days of my life. Amen."
Once you've prayed that prayer there are a few things that will help you set out on your new journey.
- If you don't have a Bible, get one. And get a translation that you can understand. Start reading the story of Jesus. I recommend the book of Mark. Read just a tiny bit a day if that's all you can do, but it will really help.
- Find some friends who are following Jesus. If you don't know any or don't know of a good church email us at
. We'll help you get connected.
- Finally, we'd really recommend you work through our Essentials Discipleship Series. It will help you to better understand what it means to follow Jesus. You can download an e-book version of the Essentials in our Free Stuff section. If you would be more comfortable with a paper copy, you can buy one in our store. If you can't afford it, just let us know. We'd be glad to send you one for free. Again, you can contact us at